Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Gulfport, Florida

Aug 21, 2012

I flew into Tampa today, and took a shuttle down to Gulfport, a small, artsy town on the Gulf of Mexico, just south of St. Petersburg.

I am staying in Gulfport for ten days in a guest cottage about 3/4 mile from the beach. I would be happy if this were an apartment; it's very nicely furnished. I took a walk into town to get some groceries and to grab a bite to eat just as it started to rain. Wowee - it poured and caused above-the-ankle rivers. Good thing I have experience walking in the rain in Costa Rica.

I stopped at a little corner store and chatted with Mike, the owner. He's Greek and told me he had homemade dolmadas (stuffed grape leaves), so I bought some. Then I stopped at a little restaurant and got some homemade minestrone soup, and met a woman, Stacy, who sells real estate and does appraisals.  She gave me a ride back to the cottage and saved me from getting soaked.  People are very friendly here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment