Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My First CouchSurfing Experience

I like to meet people, and I like to try new things. So I joined CouchSurfing. I offer travelers my extra bedroom when they are passing through and when it's convenient for me, and when I want to travel, I can contact CouchSurfers in the area I'll be visiting to see if they can accommodate me.

No sooner had I joined this organization when I received a request from Nancy, a 36-year-old Australian who was traveling the world solo for a year. She wanted to stay with me for a few days, and after checking her references online, I invited her to my place.

CouchSurfing is also a social group that plans parties and get-togethers. The day I met Nancy, she and I attended a CS lunch, where we met about 40 others - some travelers but mostly folks who live around here. The group was split by age - young'uns in their 20s and 30s, and us older folks in our 50s and up. I was happy to meet these new people, and look forward to seeing them again. In fact, this Friday some of us older women are getting together for lunch, and on Sunday the group is having a cheesecake party.

Nancy stayed here four nights and to my delight, she turned out to be a wonderful cook and a massage therapist. From her Chinese background, she learned to make delicious meals from just a few ingredients. I took notes and now I'm feeding myself the way she fed me. She also saved me a couple of visits to the chiropractor by doing deep-tissue massage on my neck, shoulders and back.

One of the women I met at the CS lunch is Ellen, who lives on Vancouver Island in Canada, but is staying here in Costa Rica for a few months. She, Nancy and I decided to take off last weekend on a Wild Women's Weekend to the tip of the Nicoya peninsula on the Pacific coast. See my post on that fun adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment