Friday, March 30, 2012

Bosque del Niño

I was an invited guest to the World Water Day celebration at Bosque del Niño (Children's Woods). My two retired tico buddies, Heriberto and Gerardo, and I may have a volunteer gig making trail signs at this park, which is located in San Isidro de Grecia.

It is oh so hot these days in downtown Grecia, so driving the half hour up up up into the mountains to this park was lovely. The air was cool and fresh.

There were local and national dignitaries at this event, along with the principals and a few selected students from each elementary school. The winning essay was read by its author, a sweet little girl about 9 or 10 named Jimena. She wrote about water being a precious resource. Each school that participated in the essay contest received a laptop, printer and sound system.

I went up to the principal of the school that's just a few blocks from where I live and introduced myself. I asked if she was interested in having me go to the school on occasion to speak English to the kids. She was very interested. All kids learn basic English skills, but usually the teachers don't know how to speak the language. So I'll go and the kids and teachers will listen to a native American-English speaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment