Monday, March 26, 2012

End of the Chapter

I had to find a new home for Frijolita. After seven weeks of increasingly bad behavior, she dug five too many holes. She is a digger; I am a realist; and I woke up Friday morning, solid in my decision to part ways with her.

Once I put it out to the universe, a loving home showed up the same day. I asked my friend, Cindy, up in Tilaran, who raises and trains dogs, if she could take Frijolita. She is building a kennel and currently has 13 dogs living in crates. She takes them out 2-3 times a day to walk and train them. I wanted Frijolita to keep her free spirit, but I was desperate. However, Cindy just couldn't take one more dog.

She did, however, recommend a woman in Atenas, Cheree Quinn, who had recently adopted a crippled dog. I emailed Cheree, described sweet Frijolita, attached a picture, and Cheree immediately fell in love with her. Cheree and her husband just moved to Costa Rica in November from Hawaii, and have eight dogs. Frijolita would be #9.

We did the handoff on Saturday, Frijolita doing much better in the back seat, but still very scared of riding in the car for 40 minutes. I am so glad that I leash-trained her, because I had to walk her in the center of the city, which was full of people and noise from a fiesta, and she stayed right with me.

Cheree is a lovely woman, and obviously in love with dogs. She is about 40; she and her husband decided not to have kids, but to have dogs instead. She assured me that Frijolita would be well taken care of. I can still see Frijolita sitting in the back seat among her food, treats, bowls, toys and pillows that went with her.

I bawled my eyes out. I couldn't believe that I got so attached to a dog that I didn't even want after just seven weeks.

The next day, Sunday, I wept some more and dragged myself around the house. Finally, I emailed Cheree to see how Frijolita was doing. I wanted to know, but I didn't want to know, too. She wrote back that Frijolita was a little shy with the other dogs, but was spending time with one dog, Roxy, her new best friend, and digging holes and chewing rawhide bones. They were planning to introduce the other dogs to Frijolita one at a time. That first night, Cheree's husband slept in the guest room with Frijolita so she wouldn't be scared.

I am so very grateful to have found the right home for Frijolita. I know she will be happy there.

And no, I am not looking for another dog. But I am glad I had the experience of her.

1 comment:

  1. Just think of yourself as Frijolita's fairy godmother. You were there to get here to the right place. IF you ever need a dog fix, may I suggest Dogland in San Ramon. There are oodles of residents that could use a fairy godmother.

    ReplyDelete