Sunday, March 18, 2012

Danger and Excitement on a Sunday Morning

Sometime during the night, Frijolita took down the yellow Danger tape surrounding the piles of rocks and dirt being used to make cement for the house going up across from me. She thoughtfully brought me a piece of the yellow tape, which says Peligro (Danger).

I tricked her into coming over to me on the couch so I could put her leash on, and we walked into town. She resisted on many blocks so she could run away from stray dogs (there are lots in Costa Rica), but I kept her with me to show her who was the Alpha dog.

As we were walking up the street to our house, a big brown ferocious-looking dog (part Rottweiler) followed us. He had a leather collar on, so he must have escaped from someone's yard. He seemed harmless and Frijolita didn't seem to care about him, until he trespassed on our property. Frijolita barked as though her life depended on it. (If only I could get her to bark at unwanted people on the property instead of dogs...)

The dog hung around here, and a little while later, the neighbor from down the street came looking for him. It seems the battery died on his invisible fence collar. Frijolita and the dog were playing hide and seek in the sugar cane field. Finally, I brought out the big guns: liver. I got the dog to come over and feed out of my hand (he has teeth!) and I grabbed him by the collar. My neighbor slipped the leash on him and all ended well.

No comments:

Post a Comment