Sunday, August 26, 2012

Gulfport 4

Aug 25, 2012

Public transportation here isn't as all-encompassing as it is in Costa Rica.  And rental cars are very expensive.  But I was determined to do a little shopping (I desperately need a bathing suit), so I walked around the block and waited for the bus to take me to the Tyrone Square Mall.  The bus arrived within five minutes - oh joy!  I bought a day pass and I was set for my return trip back.  (I was fortunate to be within just one block of this particular bus.  I still don't know how I'm going to get back to Gulfport from the next place I'll be staying.)

I bought a lot of little things (belts, the uncoordinated top and bottom of bathing suits that will go with other tops and bottoms I have, sparkly nail polish (I'm feeling wild and free), a flash drive for on-the-go backups, slippers (I can't buy open-toe Dearfoams in Costa Rica), thongs at Victoria's Secret (hmm, too much information?)).  I am so used to buying my year's supply of clothes when Susan and I go shopping in Sept/Oct every year; I'm at a loss for picking out clothes on my own.  It could be that  there are only dregs available at the end of this season.


After a little nappypoo, I was ready for the Gecko Ball. This is an annual costume-optional party extraordinaire to raise money to buy public art in Gulfport.  This is the most fun and friendly town I have ever been in!

Daniel and Mike are the owners of my guest cottage, and help coordinate the Gecko Ball (and other events in this lively town).  In the photo, Daniel is in the middle.  I'm not sure who the third person is.

When I arrived at the Ball, I introduced myself to a woman, Karen Love, who had moved to Gulfport a year earlier from Puerto Rico.    She introduced me to some people in the Chamber of Commerce.  They introduced me to more people, including Biff who used to be a cop in Boston.  Plus I saw a couple from Swing Dance night.  Then I danced with a guy, Stone, who was playing a washboard tie with metal thimbles on his fingers, who introduced me to a couple in real estate who handle short-term rentals.  It was a crazy, fun, friendly group, and I felt like I fit right in.


No comments:

Post a Comment