Tuesday, August 14, 2012

New York City #4 (last)

August 12 2012

I had to go to New York City to spend time with my friend Lisa from Costa Rica.  We met at her mom's apartment with a gorgeous view, then set off for Central Park.  With Li's broken toe, we opted for a pedal taxi, and enjoyed the scenery while our bicyclist driver Ahmou gave a running commentary.  What a huge, lovely park in the middle of a bustling city!  Most moving was the round tile remembrance of John Lennon with "Imagine" in the middle, located across the street from his apartment where he was killed.

We happened by the Paris movie theatre and stopped in to see a wonderful movie, The Intouchables.  We were both hungry for a great foreign film with English subtitles, and this film did not disappoint.  It is about a wealthy invalid and his improbably, brash but refreshing caregiver.

I rushed to get to the subway stop to make it back to Long Island in time for dinner, but it was clear I would have to take a taxi.  A quick goodbye to Lisa and I was off - until a few blocks before Times Square, which was closed due to a triathlon finish line.  Just like in the movies, I threw some money at the cab driver and jumped out of the cab to hike on foot down to the train station at 34th Street.  I realized I was not going to make the train, and I would have to wait an hour for the next one, so I slowed down and did some window shopping.  When I finally got to Penn Central, I was surprised to find another train that was leaving in six minutes so I hopped on.

I did make it to dinner - the last one for Cynthia, Arnie and me - at Chez Noelle, a lovely French relic with an entertaining waiter, Rene.  I learned that I like Pinot Noir wine.  And the duck was delicious.

The next morning I flew standby for the first time on my friend's US Airways buddy pass to Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment