Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Gulfport 6

Aug 28, 2012

I spent a couple of hours downtown Gulfport, going into shops and meeting people.  I cannot say enough how friendly people are here.  I went into the beauty salon because I had heard there were used books for sale and the proceeds benefit a no-kill animal shelter.  There wasn't anything I really wanted to read, but I bought a book just to contribute something.  The hairdresser and her client were very friendly, and the client mentioned that she might know of some furnished rentals for the future in her complex, Town Shores.

I asked if there was a nail technician there, but she had left.  I wondered if there was any nail polish remover that I could use to remove the stubborn sparkles on my fingernails from the polish I put on for the Gecko Ball.  I had tried the nail polish in my bag, and even some paint thinner, but nothing worked.  A woman came from the back room and handed me a bottle of pure acetone.  No charge.  I just about bent over backwards thanking her.  When I got it home, sure enough, it removed the sparkles.  I think the polish must have had shellac in it.

I went back to the beauty salon again, to ask the price for a cut and color.  Nancy quoted me $60, a pretty good price for the US, so I made appointment for Thursday morning.  Meanwhile, the client, a woman named Marsha, took my number and said she'd call me with rental information.  She did, and said she'd be happy to show me a one-bedroom unit tomorrow after the card game fundraiser at the Senior Center, which she invited me to.  Oh boy!  I get to play canasta and maybe a little Rummy.

In the afternoon I went for a walk to the marina.  The wind was blowing hard so no one was out sailing.  There were some beautiful sailboats tied up, and I was nostalgic about my sailing days.  The manager came out and we talked for a while.  He took my picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment