Wednesday, August 8, 2012

New York City #2

August 7, 2012

Cynthia drove us into the city.  She went to work and I went to Grand Central Station to take the tour.  This is a massive building with interesting architecture where trains arrive and leave. 

I couldn't figure out how to buy a train ticket using the machine.  A kind man helped me, but we didn't know if the machine would give me change for a $20 bill.  I put in my US debit card, but hadn't used it in a year and couldn't remember the pin number.  Geez, what kind of prepared traveler am I?  So the guy said, give me $2 and I'll swipe my Metro card for you.  And he did.

I found my way on the S Shuttle and then the #1 Uptown train to W 107th St, where I visited my cousins Marty and Jill in their beautiful new apartment.  We had lunch on the rooftop with a great view of the city.  Jill had bought foods that she thought I would appreciate, and we had a great time talking about family and personal stuff.  I wish we lived closer so we could spend more time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment