Saturday, August 11, 2012

New York City #3

Aug 10, 2012

I'm not usually a big museum fan unless the work is contemporary, so off we headed to MoMA (the Museum of Modern Art).  Cynthia and I spent the entire day there, taking a break for lunch and coffee.  There were enjoyable pieces and pieces that I would not call art.  But that's just me.

For lunch, Cynthia wanted me to experience a real hot pastrami sandwich, so we went to the Stage Deli.  Ooh, was that great!  With a cream soda to top it off.

We met Arnie at Petrossian for dinner, a very fine restaurant.  When will I learn not to fill up on the delicious bread and wait for the main course?!  After the bread, I did eat all of my appetizer, which was caviar and sour cream on a blini.  Then came a deliciously prepared skirt steak, and an apple tartlet with cardamom ice cream.  Burp.

Aug 9

Arnie, Cynthia's guy, is a trooper.  Walking around is a little problematic for him, but he drove us into the city and waited in his air conditioned car for us all day.

First we went to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum and took the Sweatshop Workers tour.  I tried to imagine my grandmother, fresh off the boat from Lithuania, working her fingers to the bone, along with 12 million other refugees who entered New York.

We walked around Chinatown, which is huge, then had an early dinner at Pellegrino's, voted the Best Italian Restaurant of 2012 in Little Italy.  For dessert we walked around the corner to Ferrera.  I was oh so full, and satisfied.  What an eating trip this has been.

Aug 8

Cynthia's friend, Cathi, and I took the LIRR (train) into the city to have lunch at a Mexican restaurant and to see the Broadway play, War Horse.  What I really wanted to see was The Book of Mormon, but tickets, which weren't even available, cost $300, and that was over the top for me.  So I settled for this less expensive play.  OMG!  From our fourth row seats, we saw the exact and exquisite way that three puppeteers directed every movement, every nuance of the star horse, Joey.  I loved everything about the play: the puppets (which were life-size), the story, the acting, the choreography, the ensemble.  Wowee.


My friend Alan was waiting for me after the play.  Alan is the brother of one of my old friends, Howard, from UMass.  Howard died a few years ago, and his legacy to me was his wonderful brother, who has become my friend.  I was still on an ethnic restaurant kick, so we stopped at an Indian restaurant that had great food.  Here we are walking through Rockefeller Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment