Wednesday, August 8, 2012

New York City #1

August 5, 2012

I arrived at Penn Station shlepping a very heavy backpack and a 53-pound suitcase.  My friends Cynthia R and Arnie were waiting for me at Lindy's Restaurant.  I found the sign for Lindy's and attempted to enter through the revolving door.  I got stuck with the suitcase jamming the door!  Arnie came and rescued me.  What a grand entrance I made.

After a comforting vodka tonic at Lindy's, we drove over to a Korean restaurant and had unrecognizable but delicious food.  I think I became a foodie when I moved to Costa Rica and had to give up exotic tastes, so when I travel, ethnic food is at the top of my list of attractions to experience.

Cynthia lives in Port Washington in a beautiful home that she decorated herself.  I feel like I am staying in a five-star hotel. 

August 6

We rode the hop-on/hop-off New York Water Taxi to get around the city.  My first stop was the 9/11 Memorial, where there are two reflection pools in the same footprints of the Twin Towers.  What struck me the most was a pear tree that survived the disaster and came back to life.

I left my friends at a restaurant overlooking the Brooklyn Bridge at South Street Seaport while I took off in search of the New York Stock Exchange's observation deck.  I wanted to see where I've lost so much money.  I stopped at a corner to ask a guy for directions and he asked me directions to The Bull, the big bronze statue that represents capitalism.  Since we were on the same wavelength, we went searching together.  Ash is from Melbourne, Australia, and came to NYC for a couple of weeks to sightsee.  We found The Bull and took pictures of each other in the two poses that everyone else was taking.


The Water Taxi passed by the Statue of Liberty, where all of my grandparents passed on their way to Ellis Island from Russia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment