Monday, August 27, 2012

Gulfport 5

Aug 26 - 27, 2012

Aug 26

Chock up another "I never thought I would go here" events.  I went to an American Legion bar on one of the barrier islands.  It was a misty day, waiting to see if Hurricane Isaac would hit or pass us by.  I went out for my second and last date with the baseball fan.  He's a nice enough guy, but he didn't stop talking, and didn't need me in his conversations.

Sitting on the deck overlooking a bay, sipping a brewski, was pleasant enough.  The people were friendly, as long as we didn't talk politics.  When people find out that I live in Costa Rica, they want to tell me who among their friends and family members have been there.  So I, myself, am a conversation piece.

I have found a beer that I like: Yuengling.  It sounds Chinese, but it's from Pennsylvania.  Everything was calm and copacetic, when a guy pointed to the water and said, "Dolphins!"  There they were, swimming and surfacing and being adorable the way dolphins are.  I was delighted to see them, and reminded of my sailing days when dolphins would swim alongside the sailboat.  Sweet.

Aug 27

I walked downtown but was met with closed doors.  There is nothing happening in Gulfport on Mondays.  Restaurants are closed, shops are closed.  There were little sandbags resting against the closed doors - just in case.  Thankfully for us, but not so for New Orleans, the weather is only bringing wind and a little rain.  I got wet, but I didn't mind.  The rest of the day I spent sorting through my notes to see what I came to Florida to do and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment