Sunday, September 2, 2012

St Pete 1

Sept 1, 2012

This is the pool across from my condo unit, with a view of Gulfport across the bay.

Agonizing heat.  And humidity.

The air conditioning in the condo went out in the early evening last night, right after I moved in.  The temperature inside kept rising.  I left two messages for the property manager, Nice.  She didn't call back.  I had two fans blowing on me all night.  I finally slept two hours.  I left another message for Nice.  When it reached 88 degrees inside at about 10am, I walked over to Nice's unit and banged on the door until someone answered.  She had been at a Blue Moon standup paddling event the night before until 3am and didn't get my messages.

Her husband came over to look at the A/C unit, but couldn't find the problem.  He did loan me a bicycle, though.  But it's too hot to even ride it unless I take it out in the early morning.  Nice said she would call someone to fix the A/C - on a Saturday of a long weekend.

Thankfully, Holly has an extra bedroom in her air conditioned house where she is house sitting, and offered it to me.  I packed for overnight and we took off for the Gecko Fest in Gulfport.

OMG - what fun!  It's the best street festival I've ever been to.  Many craft booths, different stages with music playing all day, hula hoops, people in costume, food (I had yummy collard greens with a sweet BBQ sauce), bars with misting fans to cool people off.

I was already suffering from heatstroke, so I hopped like a bunny between shady spots.  Ice cream helped cool me down, as did a beer at an outdoor bar where all the patrons were very friendly.  We sat in where my new friend, Stone, was playing drums for native American and cajun zydeco music.  I ran into people I had already met.  We shared a pressed Cuban roast pork sandwich.  And when the sun went down, we danced in front of the stage where the Urban Gypsies were playing.  They were great!


The gecko is Gulfport's mascot.  There are geckos everywhere you go.  This town could easily be renamed Geckoport.

No comments:

Post a Comment