Sunday, September 9, 2012

St Pete 5

Sept 7, 2012

"Ybor City is a historic neighborhood in Tampa.  It was founded in the 1880s by cigar manufacturers and was populated by immigrants from Spain, Cuba and Italy." (from Wikipedia)  Today Ybor City is a nighttime party venue for young crowds.

Holly and I drove over to Ybor City during the daytime just to have a looksee.  It was pretty dead.  But we, of course, had a good time.  The cobblestone streets reminded me of Beacon Hill.  I had heard about Blue Bell ice cream and thought it must be pretty special.  It isn't.  There are a few vintage clothing stores there with clothes from the 20s in mint condition. There were several tobacco stores showcasing beautiful hookahs and charging $14.95 to smoke flavored tobacco.

One can eat well here, and choose from a big selection of restaurants.  We weren't hungry, but got lured into a newish restaurant called Carne Chop House because escargots were on the menu.  Holly had to have some.  Our friendly waiter, Jake, said there were eight escargots in the appetizer, just barely enough for us to share.  But when he brought the dish, there were only six, so he offered us a free dessert: rum caramel flan.  Plus he brought us crusty bread and garlic butter.  We were full when we left there, but impressed with the steak menu and want to go back.

First Friday in St Pete takes place the first Friday night every month.  Central Ave is cordoned off between 2nd and 3rd Streets for commercial booths, a band and dancing in the street.  We got there early enough to grab some seats on the sidewalk in front of a bar.  The band was great and featured a woman playing a saxophone and singing.  My feet would not stay still - I had to dance.  I called my friend Judith, another high-energy friend whom I had met in St Pete last December, to ask her to meet me here, and she was already on her way.  It was great to see her again, and to meet her friend Sandy. We all danced, mostly on the sidewalk, all night.  Thousands of people passed by us, and some of them stopped to dance with us before going on their way.  In a crowd like that, I often wonder if I will see someone I know, and I did.  Nigel, the Couchsurfer I had lunch with last week, recognized me, and sat with us for a while.  I danced a little in the street, and a few strangers came up to me and said I was a great dancer.  They should see me dance salsa!

Mr. Roboto, a life-size robot, remote controlled by someone wearing a Ferg's (sports bar) t-shirt walked by, and I had to have my picture taken with the robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment