Monday, September 17, 2012

St Pete 11

Sept 16 - 17, 2012

Sept 16
When I used to live in Sarasota, I went to a new age church called Spirit of Life.  The minister was a dynamo who spoke from the heart and inspired us all.  Her name was Temple Hayes.  She left our little church when she was called to be the associate minister at First Unity in St Pete.  At some point she became the senior minister there, and I had the privilege of sitting in on her service today.  She is better than ever, and the full house roared with delight and appreciation at her "sermon", which was more like a conversation, without any notes.  Temple and I hugged and she gave me her cell number.  The next time I rent a car, I'll meet her and we'll catch up.  I like the energy at her church, and the people are a diverse mix of ages and colors.  I want to ask her how I can get over the mention of "Christ" since I'm not a Christian.  I know that others there feel like I do, and if I can hear the word without going into a tailspin, I'll be happy there.

From St Pete, I shopped my way south to Sarasota, stopping at my favorite Goodwill Bookstore and Bealls for clothes in Bradenton. I made it down to Marina Jack's in Sarasota harbor by 4:15, and met Sandy in the parking lot.  My friend Ron had invited me for a sunset cruise on his Island Packet, and said to bring a friend.

Unfortunately, it rained from 4-7pm, so we sat around drinking wine, munching on snacks, and talking with friends of Ron and Jennifer's.  Then the friends left, and we set sail.  It was a lovely night and we got up to about 3 knots.  I love love love being on the water, and miss sailing.  Jennifer made a yummy orzo salad, and we had shrimp, and did not go hungry.

Sept 17
I stayed overnight at Sandy's on Siesta Key, and headed up to Bradenton to visit Jim, my ex, in the morning.  I thought my absentee ballot would be there, but it wasn't, so we drove over to see when it would be mailed:  Oct 5. So I'll still be here when it arrives at Jim's, and I'll be able to vote.    I did pick up the latest letter from the IRS (long story).   Then we had a nice lunch at an outdoor restaurant on the water.

I'm glad I brought my GPS from Costa Rica, because I would not have been able to find the obscure little IRS office in St Pete without it.  I had paid some back taxes for three different years, and the IRS screwed up and applied all the payments to one year.  It was impossible to get it straightened out from Costa Rica.  One day I was on hold with the IRS for 1 hour and 45 minutes and then the power went out.   So I checked, double-checked and triple-checked the amount that I still owed (only $21.26) and paid it.  I hope that is the last of that.



No comments:

Post a Comment