Sunday, September 30, 2012

St Pete 18

Sept 29

Many of the museums in St Pete are free today, and I wanted to go to the new Salvador Dalí Museum.  I found my way there, parked at a free, meter-less spot, and walked a few blocks to the museum.  The line was going to take 45 minutes, but I was game.  Then I heard someone say that it was free only for residents of Pinellas County.  That was confirmed by a guard, so I left.  :-(  Even though I'm staying in Pinellas County, the only ID I have says Manatee County, just south of here.

So I drove to Gulfport in search of The Gabber, a weekly newspaper that tells about all the social goings-on.  Daniel, my former landlord, had asked me to write a blurb about how much I liked Gulfport, and it was going to run in this week's Gabber, along with my profile picture that he lifted from Facebook (we're friends). 

On my way to the center of town, I saw a friend, Marsha, standing on a sidewalk talking to a gardener, so I parked the car and went over to her.  She invited me into her home, and we sat and visited for a while.  Marsha is the one who drove me home from Walmart on a very hot day, and the Tampa Bay Rays employee (not a volunteer as I had thought) I ran into at a game.  She's a hot ticket.  When she was in her 40s, she adopted a Chinese baby girl, who has just graduated from high school.

Still in Gulfport, I stopped in to see Karen, who had participated in a mini-marathon in the morning.  She biked, swam and um, something else - each for a mile, I think.  She is fixing up her home that she just bought, and the apartment behind it.

 
Tonight Karen and I went to the Tangerine Blues Fest - a free, outdoor blues festival on Tangerine Avenue in Gulfport.  
The music was just so-so, but Brady's pulled pork sandwich melted in my mouth, and the frozen, chocolate-covered, coconut-sprinkled banana was good, too.  Brady, also known as Mr. I Got 'Em, when he cooks and caters soul food at events, is also an occasional swing dance partner.  He's a little tall for me, 6'6" at least, but he dances well.  I saw fellow dancing fools Judy, Michele and Cindy, whom I had met and danced with at the Gecko Fest.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment