Tuesday, September 25, 2012

St Pete 15

Sept 24 - 25, 2012

Sept 24
Somebody stop me from buying more clothes!  My car drove to Bealls, one of my favorite stores, and I picked up a pair of white shorts and a bra.  In the afternoon I stopped downtown St Pete at White House Black Market, another favorite store, but nothing fit.  Next door at Chico's, though, I found a pair of black capris that had my name on them.

Most of the afternoon was spent at the First Unity Church.  I attended services there the last two Sundays, and I like the energy, the people, and most of all, the minister, Temple Hayes, who was my minister at a Religious Science church in Sarasota.  Temple met with me for over an hour today, answering questions that I have about religious beliefs and how the Unity church might fit my needs for spirituality and community.  I don't know if I can make the leap from Unitarian Universalism to Unity, or if I even have to think about changing labels.  These two months in Florida are a fact-finding mission for me, and I'm gathering a lot of information.

Sept 25
My friend Karen bought and has moved into her first house in Gulfport and I went to see it - without my camera, dang.  It's open and airy, with good ventilation, and a building in back (bodega/apartment), and a spacious yard.  It's a 15-minute walk to downtown.  She got a very good deal, and is fixing it up herself, with a little help from a friend who drove down from Atlanta with her stuff that was in storage.  Buying used furniture here is big, and she has made some major finds.  Her forte is decorating, and she knows what colors to put with what.

Tuesday is Fresh Market Day in Gulfport, and I expected a farmer's market.  There may have been one, but all I saw were craft booths.  I just had to buy a pair of red earrings (only $7.50).  I visited with Mike and Daniel, the couple who rented me their guest cottage), who had just come back with 25 others from Gulfport on a Carnival cruise.  I like these guys a lot - they're so down-to-earth and helpful.

In the afternoon, I stopped at a couple of art-making places to gather information.  The St Pete Clay Company offers classes in hand-building and wheel-throwing (two terms I learned today), and Valerie, the teacher, showed me around.  I've always wanted to make something artsy with my hands, and clay has some appeal.  Then I went to a unique place, Painting with Fire Studio.  The owner, Barbara Lewis, demonstrated how she makes torch-fired enamel jewelry.  It was fascinating and looked easy.  I could make my own earrings!  You can look her up at www.paintingwithfirestudio.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment