Saturday, September 8, 2012

St Pete 4

Sept 5 - 6, 2012

Sept 5
I packed my backpack for an overnight and we headed south.  Holly had a Latin dance class in Venice and dropped me off at Steinmart to do some shopping.  When we met again, we stopped at a beach store called Splash and bought bathing suits!  We were overjoyed to find a huge selection so late in the season.  I got a two-piece and a one-piece.  Yes, this 62-year-old body still looks pretty good in a two-piece.  Except after I eat, when my stomach looks eight months pregnant.

Then we went to visit my friend Sandy, who lives on Siesta Key.  Sandy and I met after she sent me fan mail when I used to write an online column about living in Costa Rica.  I didn't usually encourage friendship with my fans, but there was something about Sandy that made me want to get to know her. Over the last several years, she has visited and traveled with me in Costa Rica, and I have visited her.  This time I was bringing Holly, and we stayed overnight in Sandy's lovely home.


The three of us got along well.  We spent a few hours walking on Siesta Key Beach and sitting around talking, then watching the sun set.  Every year this is voted one of the best beaches in the world.  The sand is finer than sugar, and is made of quartz crystals.  The water was water but a little wavy.

Sept 6
Sandy has worked in real estate for decades, and offered to drive us around Sarasota to give Holly an idea of different neighborhoods and house styles and prices.  I lived here and in Bradenton before moving to Costa Rica, so I got to see how much and how little the area has changed.  We ate lunch at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant, Miss Saigon, and I ordered my regular plate - grilled pork, egg rolls, rice vermicelli and salad.  Heavenly.




No comments:

Post a Comment